Monday, October 6, 2008

Insight From The Perspective of the Broadcast






Forgive me Ice Dog fans, for I have sinned.  You see I cheated on all of you on Sunday by , gasp, broadcasting a game for another team. Not only I did I broadcast for another team that team was the Oshawa Generals, much maligned by fans of this region after their elimination of their beloved Ice Dogs last year.  Few people know, but I got my OHL start in Oshawa two years ago as I filled in for Roger Lajoie on several occasions.  Plus, I lived and worked in the area for seven years, so I actually enjoy going back to the Durham Region.  
 
While I enjoy going back to Oshawa, and broadcasting at the General Motors Centre, there is one thing I could do without.  The first of which is one perilous work across the catwalk at the top of the arena to get to the gondola.  I am petrified of heights and much prefer the short climb up the stairs at the Gatorade Garden City Complex to this terrifying walk.  I usually ask someone to walk with me and invariably that person will shout out encouragingly "Just don't look down".  Of course the natural inclination is to do that , thus reinforcing the fact that its way up in the air.  Once I get to the gondola,  I'm done and I don't move until the  end of the game.  I have not pondered what would happen if I had to go to the bathroom during intermission.   The second thing I dread is the walk back, for the same reasons.  I have a feeling that if I were ever selected to go on the Amazing Race, I would be lousy at anything involving heights, though it would be compelling TV to see a guy turn deathly while while cursing a blue streak.  
 
As for the broadcast, while the game is the game, you are working with new directors, producers, camera people colour commentators and the like.  You must develop on-air chemistry with someone whom you have never met.  Fortunately, Mike Vonella, the guy I worked with was easy-going and that part worked out well. Still, having worked over 40 games with my colleagues Ed Burholder and Al Galloway, the comfort level there is instantaneous and natural but  it does take a while to gain an on-air rapport.  It was a good game to call, with lots of chances, three fights and some guy named Tavares who I hear has a shot to make an impact.  
 
Confession, I hear, is good for the soul and it feels good to get this indiscretion about broadcasting with another team out of my system. 
 
A Quick Note About Saturday's Game:
 
The game was great for the fans and for a broadcaster.  You had comebacks, fights, a late equalizer by the home team and a number of dandy goals.  If you are a coach you're not as much of a fan and if you are Coach Cichillo, you must be wondering about the points that got away. In three Ice Dogs losses this year either in OT or a shootout, the Ice Dogs have given up a marginal OT goal,(vs. Oshawa) a late tying goal (vs. Belleville), two real bad goals in the third period and two blown two goal leads (vs.. Plymouth). That is three points out the window, and that is not counting a two goal lead coughed up in Oshawa in the third period.  Though early in the season, those are points lost that could come back and haunt the Dogs as the season progresses.  
 
It might be too early to push the panic button and start jettisoning draft picks and players for a quick fix, but it would not surprise me to see Dave Brown begin exploring a little tinkering with the current line-up sooner rather than later.
 
Steve Clark- TV Cogeco Play by Play

No comments: